Sep 22, 2018  
2011-2013 Graduate Catalog 
2011-2013 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Information

Tuition and Fees

Graduate tuition varies according to programs. Tuition is the same regardless of whether the enrollment status is for credit or for audit. For the latest tuition rates, access the current Graduate Programs Bulletin online at

Payment of Bill

Tuition and fees must be paid in full at the time of registration unless students are receiving financial aid. Students with financial aid should present their award letter at the time of registration. Only cash, checks, money orders, ACH, and credit cards (Visa or MasterCard) will be accepted as forms of payment. Students registering through CyberFriar must complete the online tuition payment using a credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or ACH payment at the time of registration. Students who do not submit payment at the time of registration will be dropped from the course for non-payment. Students dropped from a course(s) who wish to re-register will be allowed registration only on a space-available basis.

Students whose tuition is paid by a third party, employers, a government agency or any other source must have a letter of authorization with them at the time of registration. Upon receipt of this letter, bills will be sent to the third party. Payment is due upon receipt of this bill. Students should inform the third party of this policy to ensure that payment is made on a timely basis so they will not be dropped from class.

* NOTE: Students registering for courses after courses have met twice will be charged a $100 late registration fee.

** Students who have been dropped for non-payment and who are re-registered after the class has begun will be charged a $100 re-registration fee.

Withdrawal and Refunds

Students who wish to drop or withdraw from a course in a graduate program must notify the office of the program director. A student will receive a refund provided proper notification has been given. Refunds will be made according the following schedule:

Before the first meeting — 100%
Before the second meeting — 75%
Before the third meeting — 50%
After the third meeting — no refund; “WD” will be indicated on the transcript.

Exceptions to this refund schedule may be given in cases of deployment of students who are active duty in the United States Armed Forces, National Guard, or Reserve personnel. 

Application to Graduate and Fees

Degrees are conferred in December and May for all programs. It is the responsibility of the degree candidate to anticipate the completion of his/her degree and to make a timely submission of the “Application to Graduate” form during the final semester of study. If the program of study requires a thesis or comprehensive exam, it is recommended that the candidate consult with his/her program director regarding the timing of graduation. For most degree candidates, it is recommended that the application be submitted in the last semester of coursework. For candidates completing their studies over the summer session, it is recommended that the candidate apply for the May graduation prior to the summer session. 

The “Application to Graduate” form may be submitted to the program director or to the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies by the deadline specified on the form (i.e., late October for degrees conferred in December and early February for degrees conferred in May). The form must be accompanied by an administrative graduation fee of $200. Given that the College hosts one Commencement Ceremony annually, December graduates are encouraged to participate in the May Commencement of the following calendar year.

The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate & Graduate Studies, in consultation with the graduate program directors, determines whether a candidate has met all degree requirements for the awarding of the appropriate degree.

Company Reimbursement Plan

Many firms will reimburse their employees in full or in part for job-related education. Students should inquire with their benefits officer regarding the company’s policies.

Income Tax Deductions for Educational Expenses

Under current regulations, educational expenses that have not been reimbursed—such as tuition, books, supplies, and related travel and living costs—may be deducted under certain conditions. Please consult the appropriate income tax agency (state/federal) for detailed information.

Financial Aid

Graduate students attending Providence College may apply for federal student aid. Students seeking financial assistance should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).The FAFSA should be completed at least four to six weeks before the period in which the applicant plans to enroll.

Submission of a completed FAFSA to the Federal Student Aid Programs will prompt the Department of Education to issue an official Student Aid Report (SAR) to the applicant. Students should read their SAR carefully since this report contains information about the status of the individual application. In addition the SAR provides information as to whether or not schools might ask for additional financial documents in support of the original FAFSA data submitted. The College will receive the SAR information electronically.

All graduate students who are enrolled on a full-time or half-time basis are eligible for the William D. Ford Direct Loan. This federal loan program will provide direct access to funds through the College. The full-time graduate student annual borrowing maximum for subsidized direct loan is $8,500 and the loan offers a low interest rate and deferment on loan repayment. Other conditions governing borrowing limits, interest rates, subsidiaries, deferments, and repayment are the same as the Stafford Student Loan Program.

An unsubsidized William D. Ford Direct Loan is available to graduate students, regardless of income. The unsubsidized Direct Loan terms and conditions are similar to the subsidized need-based Direct Loan; however, student borrowers are required to pay the interest during in-school deferment periods. Students interested in obtaining the unsubsidized Direct Loan must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The total Direct Loan borrowing limits apply to both the subsidized and unsubsidized programs as well as to the total borrowed in each of the programs combined. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid will always determine a student’s maximum eligibility. Should a student choose to borrow less than what was offered to them, they should contact the office to make those arrangements.

Students should note that if they are enrolled concurrently in two separate degree programs, the available loan level may be different than the limits outlined in this section. The Office of Financial Aid will review enrollment per semester to determine what loan level limit is federally appropriate. It is strongly recommended that financial aid applicants complete class registration at least three weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Also, no application for any type of financial assistance will be reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid until the student is properly registered for matriculation.

For additional details, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 401.865.2286.


Graduate assistantships are available to students who have been officially accepted into a graduate degree program on a full-time basis.  These assistantships involve duties in various offices where the student is required to work 20 hours per week.  If an assistantship is secured, the student will receive tuition remission and a small monthly stipend. Assistantships are not guaranteed to be renewed for a second year; that will be determined by the supervisor at the end of the first year. 

For additional details, application procedures and requirements, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 401.865.2602.


The John Monahan, Francis and Mildred Sullivan, and Rose A. Coccia scholarships assist minority students, and others who demonstrate a desire and ability to contribute to the College’s diversity. Students must be accepted into the administration, counseling, special education, or literacy graduate programs. These scholarships will be in the form of a tuition grant with the money deposited directly into the student’s account.